Current:Home > InvestSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case -Capitatum
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:30:47
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Centerextended family of Erik and Lyle Menendez will advocate for the brothers’ release from prison during a news conference set for Wednesday in downtown Los Angeles as prosecutors review new evidence to determine whether they should be serving life sentences for killing their parents.
Billed as “a powerful show of unity” by more than a dozen family members — including the brothers’ aunt — who are traveling across the country to Los Angeles, the news conference will take place less than two weeks after LA County District Attorney George Gascón announced his office was looking at the brothers’ case again.
Erik Menendez, now 53, and his 56-year-old brother, Lyle Menendez, are currently incarcerated in state prison without the possibility of parole after being convicted of killing their parents in their Beverly Hills mansion more than 35 years ago.
Lyle Menendez, who was then 21, and Erik Menendez, then 18, admitted they fatally shot-gunned their entertainment executive father, Jose Menendez, and their mother, Kitty Menendez, in 1989 but said they feared their parents were about to kill them to prevent the disclosure of the father’s long-term sexual molestation of Erik.
The extended family’s attorney Bryan Freedman previously said they strongly support the brothers’ release. Comedian Rosie O’Donnell also plans to join the family on Wednesday.
“She wishes nothing more than for them to be released,” Freedman said earlier this month of Joan VanderMolen, Kitty Menendez’s sister and the brothers’ aunt.
Earlier this month, Gascón said there is no question the brothers committed the 1989 murders, but his office will be reviewing new evidence and will make a decision on whether a resentencing is warranted in the notorious case that captured national attention.
The brothers’ attorneys said the family believed from the beginning they should have been charged with manslaughter rather than murder. Manslaughter was not an option for the jury during the second trial that ultimately led to the brothers’ murder conviction, attorney Mark Geragos previously said.
The case has gained new traction in recent weeks after Netflix began streaming the true-crime drama “ Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story. ”
The new evidence includes a letter written by Erik Menendez that his attorneys say corroborates the allegations that he was sexually abused by his father. A hearing was scheduled for Nov. 29.
Prosecutors at the time contended there was no evidence of any molestation. They said the sons were after their parents’ multimillion-dollar estate.
But the brothers have said they killed their parents out of self-defense after enduring a lifetime of physical, emotional and sexual abuse from them. Their attorneys argue that because of society’s changing views on sexual abuse, that the brothers may not have been convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life without parole today.
Jurors in 1996 rejected a death sentence in favor of life without parole.
veryGood! (937)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- FCC to consider rules for AI-generated political ads on TV, radio, but it can't regulate streaming
- Beyoncé only female artist to land two albums on Apple Music's 100 best albums list
- How Jennifer Lopez’s Costar Simu Liu Came to Her Defense After Ben Affleck Breakup Question
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Are you moving? What to know to protect your belongings and have a smooth experience
- Kyle Larson faces additional obstacles to completing historic IndyCar/NASCAR double Sunday
- Bell recovered from iconic World War I shipwreck returned to U.S. over a century after it sank
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Austin police fatally shoot man seen making a bomb at a convenience store during a standoff
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- TNT will begin airing College Football Playoff games through sublicense with ESPN
- Space oddity: NASA's so-called 'dead' Mars robot is still providing data. Kind of.
- Clark, Reese and Brink have already been a huge boon for WNBA with high attendance and ratings
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Want to See Community Solar Done Right? A Project in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula Can Serve as a Model
- Louisiana House approves bill to classify abortion pills as controlled substances
- Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Big Freedia accused of copyright infringement over 'Break My Soul' lyric
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Who won 'Jeopardy! Masters'? After finale, tournament champ (spoiler) spills all
Former UMA presidential candidate has been paid more than $370K under settlement
NFL announces Pittsburgh as host city for 2026 NFL draft
2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
2 Georgia state House incumbents lose to challengers in primaries
My dying high school writing teacher has one more lesson. Don't wait to say thank you.
Atlantic City casino profits declined by nearly 10% in first quarter of 2024